Media@UU Programme Autumn 2011
Full programme, abstracts, descriptions:
LOCATION Ekonomikum, Kyrkogårdsgatan 10, Uppsala.
* Monday, September 12, 2011, 10:00-12:30: Workshop “Digital Media and Political Change” (with Lance Bennett, Christian Christensen, Christian Fuchs, Muzammil M. Hussain, Gail Ramsay, Kristina Riegert, Alexandra Segerberg), room A138
* Thursday, September 29, 09:00-11:00, Thomas Tufte (Roskilde University, Denmark): Citizen Media and Citizen Tactics, hörsal 2 (HS2).
* Thursday, September 29, 14:00, hörsal 2 (HS2): Defence of Cecilia Strand’s dissertation “Perilous Silences and Counterproductive Narratives Pertaining to HIV/AIDS in the Ugandan, Lesotho and Namibian Press“, opponent: Thomas Tufte
* Monday, October 3, 2011, 14:15-16:00, Hart Cohen (University of Western Sydney, Australia): The Idea of “Social” in Social Media, room B105
* Wednesday, October 5, 2011, 10:00-12:00, Yuezhi Zhao (Simon Fraser University, Canada): The Politics of Intellectual Publicity in China’s Brave New Media World, room A138
* Thursday+Friday, October 6+7, 2011: Conference “Global Media Worlds and China”, Ekonomikum; keynote speakers: Yuezhi Zaho (Simon Fraser University, Canada), Daya Thussu (University of Westminster, UK), Susan Brownell (University of Missouri, USA)
* Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 15:15-17:00, Tobias Olsson (Jönköping University, Sweden): Mediated Participation and “Social” Media: Some Critical Remarks, room F332
The Media@UU lecture series is organized by the Department of Informatics and Media, Media and Communication Studies. In addition to lectures by representatives of our own department, researchers from other disciplines, as well as well-known international scholars, present current research. The series is dedicated to highlighting research on media, or media-related issues, from across the broad intellectual spectrum at Uppsala University, and beyond. It focuses on contemporary hot issues relating to the role of the media in society, such as for example: media, conflict & war, online politics, online economy, Internet/social media/web 2.0, media & globalization, or media power.
Our autumn lecture series features a workshop about digital media, political change and the Arab world, a public PhD defence, a conference about China and the media and talks about social media and citizen media.
Prof. Christian Fuchs
Chair in Media and Communication Studies
Department of Informatics and Media
751 20 Uppsala
Tel +46 (0) 18 471 1019
NetPolitics Blog: http://fuchs.uti.at/blog
Editor of tripleC: http://www.triple-c.se
Book "Foundations of Critical Media and Information Studies" (Routledge 2011)
Book "Internet and Society" (Paperback, Routledge 2010)